Notizie

Concerto di GENESEO  CHAMBER  SINGERS in S. Maria Maggiore – 28 Maggio 2016

Intero Concerto in CONCERTI/CORO/GINESEO SINGERS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Canto di Pasqua 

Testo: Salvatore Magliocchetti – Canto: Antonio Gobbo – all’Organo: Umberto Liberati

 

 

 

 

Romanian

A thanks for the translation of these pages in the Rumanian: SILVIA DRAGOMIR (Bucarest RO)

BISERICA ABATIALA

Biserica abatiala Sf. M. Maggiore din Ferentino este unul dintre monumentele cele mai însemnate din toatã regiunea Lazio si printre primele biserici în stil gotic-cistercens construite in Italia.

Izvoreste deasupra ruinelor altor clãdiri de cult cristian: “Domus-ul Ecclesia”, Biserica din secolul IV-V si Biserica din secolul al IX-lea.

Constructia, construita în travertin – piatra comuna în zona – este Opera Calugarilor Cistercensi ai Manastirii întemeiate la Ferentino de Sf. Bernardo din Chiaravalle si de Papa Innocenzo II în jurul anului 1137. În 1150 Papa cistercens Eugenio al III -lea “în acest oras, în Biserica S. M. Maggiore, consacra multi Episcopi”.

Din anticul complex Manastiresc acum ramâne numai Biserica.

Fatada principala este orientata spre Occident. Rozeta este deosebita; Mai sus se conserva o statuie a lui Isus Salvatorul ce apartinea Bisericii precedente. Important este si portalul principal care se termina cu bazoreliefurile Mielului Pascal si a celor patru evanghelisti. Marmura portalului provine de la teatrul roman învecinat.

Fatada Orientala este de o frumusete extraordinara, cu o eleganta fereastra cu doua arcade si cu rozeta.

Interiorul are trei naos-uri, despartite de pilastrii. Centrul este format din patru pilastrii de diverse stile, cu o baza patrata. Ca omagiu învataturilor si dispozitiilor Sfântului Bernardo templul nu are ornamente.

Amanunte de observat în interiorul Bisericii:

– la stânga portii majore: fresca din ‘200 a Fecioarei cu Pruncul în brate.

– cele patru rozete caracteristic asimetrice prin desen si gravuri;

– crinul, stema orasului si inscriptia V PESA pe îngerasul ce sustine agheasmatarul;

– pe usa principala: pânza ce reprezinta Ridicarea la cer, opera lui Desiderio De Angelis din Ferentino, din 1801;

Partea noua a fost construita în amintirea Anului Sfânt 1975, din contributia credinciosilor din Parohie si a altor prieteni

Polish

A thanks for the translation of these pages in the Polish: Friend polish

KOS’CIÓT OPACKI

Kos’ciÓt opacki matki boztj wiekszej w Ferentino jest jednym ze znakomitszycu w catym Lazio i ws’rÓd pierwszym kos’liotÓw w stylu gotycko-cysterskim zbudowanycu we wtoszecu.

Wznosi sie na ruinacu innycu budynkÓw kultu crzes’cijan’-skiego: “Domus Ecclesia”, kos’ciÓt z IV-V wieku, i kos’ciÓt z IX wieku.

Konstrukcja, zbudowana w trawertynie – kamienu pospolitym w regionie – jest dzietem zakonnikÓw cysterskicu opactwa
zatozonego w Ferentino przez Swietego Bernarda Chiaravalle, i Papieza Innocentego II okoto 1137 roku. W 1150 Papiez cysterski Eugeniusz III w tym mies’cie, w kos’ciele Matki Bozej Wiekszej, wys’wiecit wielu biskupÓw.
Ze starozytnego komplessu opackiego obecnie pozostat tylko kos’ciÓt.
Fronton gtówny jest zwrócony w kierunku zacuodnim.

Szczególnie pieknim jest rozeta; wyzej zacuowata sie statua Curystusa Zbawiciela która nalezata do poprzedniego kos’ciota. Znaczacy jest tez porton gtówny który konczy sie ptaskorzez’bami baranka paschalnego i czterelm ewangelistów. Marmury portonu pocuodza z pobliskiego Teatru Rzymskiego.
Fronton wscuodni jest nadzwyczajnej pieknos’ci, z eleganckim oknem “bifora” i rozeta.

Wnetrze jest podzielone na trzy nawaty, oddzielone filarani. “Intercrocio” jest uksztattowany przez cztery filary wielostylone, o bazie kwadratowej.
W hotdzie swietego Bernarda i jego naukomi wskazaniom, kos’ciÓt jest rozebrany z ozdób.
Szczególnej uwadze zastuguja we wnetrzu kos’ciÓta:
– po lewej stronie od drzwi wiekszyoh: afresk z drugiego stulecia dziewicy z dzieciatkiem w ramionach;
– cztery rozety cuarakterystycznie asymetryczne ze wzgledu na rysunek;
– lilia, godto Ferentino, i pismo “V PESA” na aniotku podtrzymujacum curzcielnice;
– na drzwiacu centralnycu: przedstawiajaca wniebowziecie, dzieto jednego z mieszkan’cÓw Ferentino, Desiderio De Angelis,
z 1801 roku.
Nowe organy zostaty skonstruowane jako pamiatka Roku Swietego 1975, z wktadem wiernycu parafi i wielu przyjaciÓt.

Hungarian

A thanks for the translation of these pages in the hungarian: BÁLINT TIBOR (Szeged H)

Az apátsági templom

A ferentinói Szent Mária apátsági templom egész Lazio egyik legjelentösebb müemléke és egyike Itália gót-cisztercita stílusban épült templomainak is.

Felülemelkedik a keresztény kultúra más épületein, mint például a Domus Ecclesia, a IV-V. századi és a IX. századi templom maradványain.

Az épületet – az ebben a zónában honos – mészköböl építették. Ez az épület Szent Bernárd és II. Innocenzo pápa által 1137 körül alapított cisztercita apátság szerzeteseinek a müve. 1150-ben, a cisztercita III. Eugenio pápa “ebben a városban, a Szent Mária apátsági templomban sok püspököt felszentelt.”

A régi apátsági épületegyüttesböl mára csak a templom maradt.

A fö homlokzat nyugati tájolású. Különösen szép a nagy, rózsa alakú gót ablak. Kicsit fentebb áll a megváltó Krisztus szobra, mely az elözö templomhoz tartozott hozzá.

Jelentös a fökapu is, amely a húsvéti bárányt és a négy evangélistát ábrázoló féldombormüben végzödik. A fökapunál lévö márványok a közeli római szinházból származnak.

A keleti homlokzat is rendkívül szép, egy elegáns kétszárnyú ablakot és egy rozettát tartalmaz.

Belül három, négyszögletes oszlopoktól tagolt templom hajó található.

Szent Bernárd tanításainak és irányelveinek tiszteletére a templomi csarnok díszítésektöI mentes.

Érdemes említést tenni a templom belsejéröl is:

– a fökaputól balra, XIII. századi freskó a Gyermeket karjában tartó Szüzet ábrázolja

– a szenteltvíztartón a liliom, Ferentino címere, és a V PESA feirat látható

– a középsö kapun a Mennybemenetel látható, melyet a ferentinoi Desiderio De Angelis készített 1801-ben.

Az új orgonát az 1975-ös Szent Év emlékére építették a plébánia hívüi és más támogatók segítségével.

Egyéb müemlékek

A Szent Mária templomhoz közeli terület gazdag müemlékekben, melyeket érdemes megtekinteni. Ilyen a Szent Lucia Templom, a római kori színház, a hatalmas kötömbökböl épített falak, a városba vezetö utaknál lévö fökapuk és Aulo Quintilio testamentuma.

Elkísérjük egy városnézésre.

German

DIE ABTEIKIRCHE

Die Abteikirche von St. Maria Maggiore in Ferentino ist der Himmelfahrt der heiligen Jungfau geweiht und als solche eine der bekanntesten in Latium. Sie ist eine der ersten und gleichzeitig am besten erhaltenen Kirchen des gotisch-zisterzienser Stils in Italien. Gebaut wurde die Kirche auf den Ruinen einer Kirche aus dem vierten Jahrhundert und einer älteren aus dem 9. Jhd., wobei letztere bis 1108 als Kathedrale galt.

 

DAS ENGÜLTIGE KONSTRUKTION DATUM

Der Kirchenbau wurde vermutlich nach 1137 begonnen, da die Abtei der Zisterzienser Mönche erst zu diesem Zeitpunkt von Bernard von Clairvaux gegründet wurde. Es gibt jedoch keine schriftliche Überlieferung über den Zeitpunkt der Fertigstellung der Kirche. Durch eine Aufzeichnung, nach der Papst Eugen III. In dieser „Stadt, in der Kirche St. Maria Maggiore, viele Bischöfe geweiht hat“, lässt sich jedoch schießen, dass der  Kirchenbau 1150 bereits fertiggestellt war.

 

DIE OST SEITE

Die nach Osten ausgerichtete Seite ist von außerordentliche Schönheit in ihrer Einfachheit und Strenge. Im oberen Teil erhebt sich ein feines Fenster mit acht Rauten; die Mitte dominiert ein einfaches Bogenfenster.

 

 SÜDFRONT

Bemerkenswert an dieser Seite sind de soliden Pfeiler, welche dem – im Vergleich zu seiner Breite beeindruckend hohem Gebäude seine Stabilität verleihen. An der Spitze wird die Südfront von einem Glockenturm mit schmalen, hohen Sprossenfenstern überragt; an der Wandseite befindet sich eine weitere Rosette.

 DIE NORD SEITENFLÄCHE

Die Nord Seite überschaut das östliche Krankenhaus, das auf dem Gelände des wichtigsten Komplexes der Abtei gebaut wurde. Es war von der Kirche durch einen kleinen Kreuzgang getrennt. Die Spuren davon sieht man noch heute auf der nördlichen Außenseite des Kirchenschiffs. Auf der oberen Ebene ist das keulenförmig gebeizte Glasfenster auffällig.

Grafische Rekonstruktion des Kreuzgangs zu zisterziensischer Zeit.

 

DIE HAUPTFRONT  (WEST)

Die nach Westen ausgerichtete Fassade ist typisch für eine Basilika. Ein rechteckiges Mittelschiff mit einem Giebel erhebt sich über die beiden Seitenschiffe. Im unteren Portalbereich sitzt auch über den beiden Seitenportale ein Glasfenster. Die Rosette über dem Mittelportal ist durch das marmorne Maßwerk, die sich kreuzenden Speichen und Bögen gegliedert.

 

FRIEDRICH II UND KONSTANZ

Über dem linken Portal sieht man Köpfe, die als Karyatiden, also menschenartige Sockelstützen dienen; zu sehen ist Kaiser Friedrich der II und seine Mutter Konstanze.

 

DEI MITTLERE TÜRE

Das Mittelportal hat einen gotischen Bogen, sogenannte Archivolten. Darüber sitzen vier quadratische Platten mit großen runden Medallions. Dargestellt ist das Osterlamm, sowie Symbole der vier Evangelisten. Am Fuß der Säulen, die das Mittelportal stützen, sind zwei kauernde Löwen herausgearbeitet.

Für den Bau des Mittelportals wurde Marmor aus den Ruinen des antiken römischen Theaters im 2. Jhd. v. Chr. verwendet.

DOMUS  ECCLESIA

Unter dem heutigen Altar wurde eine Steintafel gefunden, die Beweis für die Existenz eines „Domus Ecclesia“ ind er Wohnung des Valerius Gaius gibt, einem haus, das während der Christenverfolgung unter Diokletian (303. n. Chr.) zerstört wurde.

 DAS INNERE

Der Grundriss ist, typisch für eine Basilika, rechteckig, während der Teil vor der Apsis kreuzförmig gestaltet ist. Die drei Kirchenschiffe sind durch Säulen voneinander getrennt. Erhellt werden sie vor allem durch ein einziges Fenster mit gespreiztem Maßwerk. Die Apsis wird durch ein Bogenfenster erhellt. In der Mitte der Vierung über dem Gewölbe erhebt sich ein achteckiger Glockenturm.

 

N. B.:

Auf der linken Seite des Haupteingangs befindet sich ein Fresko mit der Bezeichnung “Maria, voller Gnade”; eine unbezahlbare Arbeit aus dem 13. Jhd.

 Die zwei steinernen Weihwasserbecken: auf der linken Schulter des knienden Statue ist ein fleur de Lys, Emblem von Friedrich II, und es ist darauf geschrieben “V PESA” (Oh! Wie schwer es ist!).

Die charakteristische Ungleichmäßigkeit der Spalten : einer, von dem (das einer, der dem Altar von der Kapelle nach dem sacristy gegenübersteht) hat die Blätter ringelnd nach innen.  

Die charakteristische Ungleichmäßigkeit der Farbgläserfenster.   

French

A thanks for the translation of these pages in the French: ARNALDO DE CASTRIS and Sr. ANAÏG MEREL (Nantes F)

 L’ÉGLISE ABBATIALE
L’église abbatiale de Sainte Marie Majeure à Férentino, dédiée à la Vierge de l’Assomption, est l’un des monuments les plus prestigeux de toute la region du Latium et l’une des premières églises en style gothique ‘cistercien’ construites en Italie. C’est aussi celle qui est la mieux conservée. Elle s’élève sur les ruines d’un très ancien temple du IV siècle et un autre de IX siècle, qui fûrent la cathédrale de Férentino jusqu’en 1108.

LA DATE DE CONSTRUCTION

Nous n’avons aucun document écrit sur la date de construction, ceux-ci ayant été détruits dans divers événements, mais elle devait déjà être terminée en 1150, car cette année-là le Pape Eugène III “Dans cette ville, dans l’Eglise de Sainte Marie Majeure, consacra beaucoup d’évêques” ainsi qu’atteste un document des archives épiscopales de Férentino qui rappelle et complète l’attestation des “Chroniques de Fossanova”. La construction est l’oeuvre des Moines Cisterciens de l’abbaye fondée à Férentino par Saint-Bernard de Clairvaux et par le Pape Innocent II vers l’année 1137. L’église est entièrement bâtie en ‘travertin’ matériau qui est facilement trouvable dans la region. Le tibérium est resté incomplet. La façade primitive, plus austère et linéaire, fut embellie dans la première moitié du 13.me siècle par un nouveau portail en marbre.

CÔTÉ NORD

Le côté Nord donne sur l’hôpital civique construit sur les lieux où s’élevait la structure principale de l’abbaye et qui était séparée de l’édifice sacré par un petit Cloître duquel restent des traces sur le mur externe de la nef Nord. Sur la partie supérieure de la façade une rosace lobée; dans la partie inférieure une élégante ‘monofore’.

FAÇADE ORIENTALE

D’une extraordinaire beauté dans sa simplicité et son austérité, cette façade donne sur l’Orient. À observer: en haut, une gracieuse fenêtre circulaire à roue avec huit lobes; au milieu une élégante fenêtre double; en bas: à la gauche de celui qui regarde, un mur de pierres massives et un portail, maintenant fermé, petit mais solide. Ce sont les restes remarquables d’autre édifice sacré.

CÔTÉ SUD

 
Ce côté est caractérisé par de solides contreforts nécessaires à la stabilité du monument qui met ici mieux en évidence sa remarquable hauteur par rapport aux deux autres dimensions.

L’épinacle est surmonté d’un petit clocher à fenêtres doubles; sur la façade une rosace. En bas, au niveau de la route, s’ouvre une vaste pièce à voûte qui soutiens une chapelle étrangère au corps de l’église; autrefois ici devait s’ouvrir une loge par laquelle l’évêque bénissait la foule sur la place au-dessous dans les grandes occasions.

‘IERONE’

 
Dans les souterrains de l’église est visible une construction, faite de blocs poligonaux pélasgiques, appellée ‘ierone’: fortin en temps de guerre et lieu de culte en temps de paix. Sur cette ancienne construction s’appuient les colonnes de l’actuel édifice.

FAÇADE PRINCIPALE

 
Elle donne sur l’Occident. Sa prospective est de forme basilicale avec la nef centrale qui s’élève de celles latérales et termine à tympan. Elle est intacte dans sa forme et son ornementation, avec un revetement de pierres ‘travertin’ travaillées au burin. En bas: trois portails. Ceux des côtés avec un arc en plein centre, chacun d’eux étant surmonté d’une rosace (Nord, Sud). À observer: en haut, le bas-relief du Christ Sauveur orné d’une auréole en forme de croix avec un livre dans la main gauche et la droite bénissant; cette sculpture appartenait à l’église précédente. Au centre: belle et finement travaillée, Ia rosace frontale avec ses petites colonnes et ses arcs circulaires qui se croisent.

PORTAIL CENTRAL

 
Le portail central au contraire est en arc d’ogive surmonté d’une attique saillante avec cinq panneaux carrés contenant des médaillons circulaires: dans celui du centre est sculpté l’Agneau pascal, dans les autres les symboles des quatre Evangélistes (1234). Les colonnes qui portent la voûte supérieure du portail et de l’attique reposent sur le dos de deux lions accroupis. (Observer le marbre ‘cipollin’ des colonnes). Pour la construction du portail majeur fut employé le marbre d’un proche théatre romain du II siècle tombé en ruines.

FRÉDÉRIC II et CONSTANCE

 
Observer dans le portail du côté Nord les deux têtes servant de cariatides de l’empereur Frédéric II, bienfaiteur des Moines, et de sa mère Constance.

PIERRE de la TOMBE de S. AMBROGIO

En bas, entre le portail majeur et celui de gauche, est insérée une pierre ‘précieuse’ avec l’inscription:
AMBROSIO Px. J. P. E. S.
(À Ambrogio Chrétien le Saint Evêque Jean a posé)
C’est la pierre qui fermait la tombe du Saint martyre Ambrogio, centurion romain martyrisé le 16-8-304: il resta ici enterré de 824 à 1108 dans la précédente église qui était la Cathédrale.

INTÉRIER de l’ ÉGLISE
Sa forme est un rectangle bien que la partie supérieure du monument soit cruciforme. Elle a trois nefs séparées par des piliers et par des colonnes à bandes. Les nefs reçoivent la lumière par des monofores coupées en embrasure. Au centre du transept, sous la voute s’élève une tour octagonale à deux étages (tibérium visible de l’extérieur). Derrière l’autel deux embrasures, une fenêtre double et une grande rosace éclairent le temple par l’Orient. En hommage aux directives de Saint-Bernard, le temlpe est simple et austère, privé d’inutiles ornements. À observer:-derrière la porte majeure, une fresque appelée “Madonne des Grâces“, remarquable peinture des premières années du XIII siècle.

English

A thanks for the translation of these pages in the English: SHEILA COLEMAN in MORGANTE (GB)

Abbey Church of SAINT MARY MAJOR in Ferentino

The Abbey church of Saint Mary Major in Ferentino is dedicated to the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, and is one of the best known in Latium. It is one of the first churches built in the Gothic-Cistercian style in Italy and also the one in the best state of preservation. This church was built on the ruins of the original church of the 4th century and on those of another one of the 9th century. These latter which were considered the cathedral until 1108.

THE FINAL CONSTRUCTION DATE

 No written documents exist which prove the final construction date of the present church because they were all lost or destroyed. We do know, though, that it was finished at least by 1150. We say this because in that year the Pontiff Eugene III in this “city, in the church of Saint Mary Major, consecrated many Bishops.” This declaration was found in a document of the episcopal archives of Ferentino and is supported by the ‘Chronicles of Fossanova.’

Building was begun by the Cistercian Monks of the Abbey founded in Ferentino by St. Bernard of Clairvaux and by Pope Innocent II about the year 1137.

The church is built entirely of travertine (porous marble), a stone found in great quantities in this area. Only the octagonal bell tower was left incomplete. In the early 13th century the austere lines of the original facade were softened by more decorative side doors, the rose window and a marble main entrance.

NORTH FRONT

The North side faces the local hospital, which was built on the site where once stood the principal complex of the Abbey. This was separated from the church by a small cloister, traces of which still remain on the exterior of the wall face of the north nave.

Upper level: a lobe shaped stained glass window; lower level: an elegant single mullioned window.

THE EAST SIDE

The side that faces East is of extraordinary beauty in its simplicity and austerity.

N. B.: in the upper part, a fine rose window with eight lozenges; in the middle, an elegant mullioned window; below, directly to the left, a wall of massive stone blocks and a small but solid door, now bricked in: an important remnant of the 9th century Church.

SOUTH FRONT

This wall is remarkable for the its solid buttresses which give stability to the building that here reveals an impressive height in comparison with its width.

The apex is surmounted by a tall narrow mullioned bell-tower; on the wall face, there is another stained glass rose window. Lower level, on the ground floor there is a large vault like room that sustains a chapel separated from the rest of the church. In ancient days, a balcony opened out over the square, from which the bishop would give his blessing.

IERONE

In the church basement you can see a construction in polygonal pelasgic style, called ‘ierone’: fortress in time of battle and place of worship in time of peace.

On this foundation stand the pillars on the right hand side of the church.

THE MAIN FRONT (WEST)

 
This faces towards the West. It is rectangular in shape, with the central nave rising above the others and ending in a gable. It is impressive in its form and ornamentation, entirely covered with hand chiselled travertine.

Lower part: here we have three doors. Those on either side both have a semi-circular arch above them; each also has a small stained glass window (NordSud).

On the upper part, above the window can be seen a bas-relief of Christ the Saviour, adorned with a crosshaped halo, a book in the left hand and with the right hand giving a blessing; this sculpture was part of the original church. Centre, a finely worked rose-window with marble spokes and circular intersecting arcs.

THE CENTRAL DOOR

The central door has a Gothic arch; above it there is an attic with 5 square panels, containing large circular medallions: in the centre one is sculptured theEaster Lamb, the others show the symbols that represent the four Evangelists ( 1234 ).

The columns which support the vault and the attic above the centre door rest on the backs of two crouching lions. (Note the ‘cipollin’ marble used for the columns.)

For the construction of the central door, marble from the ruined ancient Roman theatre, built in the 2nd century A. D. was used.

FREDERICK II and CONSTANCE

On the left door you can see heads which serve as caryatids; one is of Emperor Frederick II, benefactor of the order, the other is unidentified (perhaps his mother Constance?).

TOMB-STONE OF S. AMBROSE
Below, between the central and left door you can see a ‘precious’ stone, with the writing:

AMBROSIO Px J.P.E.S.
(For the Christian Ambrose, the holy Bishop John places this stone).

This was the stone which sealed the tomb of St. Ambrose, a Roman centurion martyred on August 16th 304 A.D. , but buried (from 824 A.D. – to 1108 A.D.) in the original cathedral.

THE INTERIOR

The floor plan is rectangular, but the upper part of the altar end is cruciform. It has three naves, divided by pillars and braided columns. The naves receive light from a single splayed mullioned windows. At the centre of the transept, over the vault, rises an octagonal bell tower two floors high (towervisible from outside). Behind the altar the vanes of themullioned window and a large stained glass window bathe the temple with eastern light.

Out of respect for the wishes of St. Bernard the temple is simple and austere, bereft of useless ornaments.

N. B.: to the left of the main door is a fresco, called‘Mary full of Grace’: a priceless work of the 13th century;

the characteristic asymmetry of the stained glass windows, and the capitals, one of which (the one which face the altar from the chapel towards the sacristy) has the leaves curling inwards;

the two stone holy water fonts: on the left shoulder of the kneeling statue is a fleur de Iys, emblem of Ferentino, and there is written on it ‘V PESA’ (Oh! How heavy it is!).

the main altar is modern;  above the main door, an oil painting on canvas representing the Assumption, dated 1801, done by a native of Ferentino, one Desiderio De Angelis; – the windows and the doors are also new ( 1970).

During restoration work, carried out between 1951 and 1955, below the present-day altar, a stone tablet was found giving proof of the existence there of a ‘Domus Ecclesia’ in the dwelling of Valerio Gaio; a house which was destroyed during the persecution by Diocleziano (303 A.D. – 304 A.D.), for the sole reason that it was a place where the Christian cult was practised.

During further restoration work (1978-1984) there was brought to light a Roman cistern on which rests the foundation of the column to the left of the altar steps.

This wall is remarkable for the its solid buttresses which give stability to the building that here reveals an impressive height in comparison with its width.

rosoni

pianta dei rosoni

pianta dei rosoni


rosone 1

rosone 1

rosone 2

rosone 2

rosone 3

rosone 3

rosone 4

rosone 4

porta Nord

porta Nord (5)

Porta Sud

Porta Sud (6)